Aug 6, 2018

Yaesu FT-991A with GPS

I'm not sure why, but the Yaesu FT-991A does not come with a built-in GPS unit. So if you want that data included in digital QSO's, you will need to connect your own external GPS antenna. Now comes the Garmin GPS18x PC, a fully compatible NMEA GPS, WAAS enabled antenna that connects to the FT-991A's GPS/CAT DB9 serial port. Power is supplied by a 12 volt plug into my Yaesu FP-1030A power supply.
Setup is pretty simple with radio menu 028 set to GPS1, which is the the default setting. Plug it in, and turn it on. Wait, slow down. Did you get that?

Now when you key up on a C4FM repeater - as well as with a few other functions - your location/distance is also transmitted/received for the other stations. And if it makes your day, you get the cool little green GPS satellite icon showing up on the FT-991A touchscreen. Nice!

Update: Oct 2020 


With a Powerwerx PowerPole-to-cigar lighter adapter, I plugged this into my RIGrunner 4007U because I kept hitting the plug sticking out the front of the power supply. This GPS is working great!



10 comments:

  1. It looks quite usable, except I don't have a 12v port in my house and I'm not planning on using my 991 in a mobile configuration.
    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    it doesn't work for me, the antenna is inside by the window. Does it have to be outside ??? you have some experience ??
    73 , Greg SP5LGN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same issue, no worky...menus set. powered up, plugged and disc in the window....NADA.. so I have my reservations on this solution based on comments in this thread.... the puck, db9 and ps cable going back to amazon..anybody anywhere please chime in with your results.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    next step, you need to change the menu item 029 to 4800bps, now it works fine,
    73, Greg, SP5LGN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you enter coordinates manually ?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. In the user FT-991A manual, bottom half of page 112, there are full instructions.

      Delete
    2. Installed this nice Garmin for 80 bucks or so configured my 991a and NADA...
      very disappointed in one or the other, who to blame?
      can anybody vouch that this actually worked for them besides the author?
      Thanks

      Delete
  5. Is the 12 plug actually necessary for the 991A? The radio's DB9 pinout indicates pin 5-ground and pin 9-RI with voltage on the latter. Has anyone tried without plugging in the separate power?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some units aren't wired for power on the db9 for some reason. I've noticed that myself when I was looking for a unit. I had to use the 5v output on my power supply

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed the procedure exactly, yes you do need the 12v external and the correct model, 18X PC with the cigarette lighter plug for the power and DB9 to the rear of the 991A and menu 028 set to GPS1 (menu 029 should read 4800 bps and menu 030 100ms, for 029/030 these are the defaults unless you changed them). So exactly as the author documents, it works great, note the model # 18X PC is important for external power connection.

    ReplyDelete