Aug 21, 2019

Filum Receptorem 101

Back in the day, we were all taught that the most significant component leading to successful QSO's is the antenna. A really good, well tuned antenna can help you generate more QSO's with even the most mediocre radio, than any other upgrade you can make in your system. For this reason, we first need to analyse our antennas in every aspect, and second, be sure we are providing the best possible environment for the antenna to work properly. With this in mind, antenna design, polarity, placement, and feed should all be considered.

At my home QTH, I currently have two antennas set up. For 144/440 MHz, a Comet GP-6 sits atop a 55 foot tower, and for HF work, a GAP Titan DX is mounted 2 meters above the ground, both in a less-than-ideal environments. We live in a tall forest with sandy soil and beach sand containing magnetite, and my home and barn have metal roofs. The GAP is positioned half way between the buildings, about 30 feet from either. As you might agree, not the best of situations as far as antennas go, but that's the best we can do here, given all factors.

As the antennas are in their current position and environment - on a sunny August 21 with heavy foliage - I captured the following readings with my Comet CAA-500 Mark II antenna analyzer. I am pretty happy with what I found. This should help me take better advantage of the frequencies that might provide the best situation for success.

Blessings!

Comet GP-6

2 METERS
70 CENTIMETERS

GAP Titan DX

10 METERS
12 METERS
15 METERS
17 METERS
20 METERS
30 METERS
40 METERS
80 METERS

Even so, I am having a great time making QSO's all around the world and making good distance in the local area. So far, I have nothing to complain about, though I have no experience or knowledge of what it is like having what one might consider ideal conditions. I'm in this for the enjoyment of the hobby, and "just havin' fun" is what I am doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment