Sep 30, 2020

APRS SDR iGate Update

The distance from stations heard in Michigan seems to indicate some assisting propagation over Lake Michigan.

After four days of almost continuous operation, the APRS SDR receive-only iGate seems to be working well. I did two reboots to test the auto-connect between Direwolf and APRS-IS and it worked perfectly. The Xastir software was restarted manually and the configuration settings loaded and returned to my settings as expected. 

Seeing that the data was feeding as it should, I closed the terminal window displaying the Direwolf journal, so now I'm just viewing the Xastir map. I have the map intensity is set to 70% so station activity stands out better. I may play around with this a bit, and I may look for a different map.


On the iGate Data page, I have some performance statistics listed, but a picture is still worth a thousand words, and maybe three bar graphs. Here is a station heard radius provided by APRS Direct. The radius they are showing is about 18 miles. I agree with their assessment, as this is the area from which a majority of stations are heard by my station.
 

Here's a few stations that fall outside of the majority curve. The KD9JSX-14 mobile station was heard from a distance of 32 miles. The AB9HH-10 station in Milwaukee, at a distance of 42.7 miles, accounts for over 65% of all packets received. The KB9OIV-1 station comes in from 46.7 miles, and three Michigan stations are heard from 89.4 miles over Lake Michigan.


No comments:

Post a Comment