Sep 3, 2020

FT-7900R ZUM Repeater Build - Part 3



Over the last two weeks, I have been experimenting with various settings on the FT-7900R ZUM Radio Pi-Star repeater. After going through frequency calibrations, TX delay and TX/RX offset settings, I'm still having an issue with one particular thing.

The Problem


I have been unable to mitigate what seems to be a delay in the digital processing. This occurs after releasing the PTT of a transmitting radio. A short <1 second clip of the last transmission is heard coming back over the transmitting radio from the repeater. If you have ever heard a short-path long-path echo, you know what I'm trying to describe. It's more annoying than anything else, but something I'd rather not have happening, if at all possible.

Having gone through everything I could think of with the Pi-Star software settings (a short list for me), I began looking at hardware. Everything appeared to be working as it should, but then I had a light-bulb moment: "Maybe it really is a signal processing-induced delay."

Modification


The repeater is built around a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ that I once used as a desktop computer, even though it was pretty slow. When the Raspberry Pi 4 came out, I made the 3B to 4B change, and Wow! What a difference in performance! So if it made such a huge difference in a desktop environment, I wonder what it will do in a repeater controller environment. There's one way to find out.

A few minutes later, I had the Rpi 3 B+ disconnected from the ZUM Radio controller and replaced with a Raspberry Pi 4 B 2GB fitted with a full heat sink case and Argon programmable fan. I swapped out the Raspberry Pi OS card with a back-up copy of the Pi-Star repeater image and in under five minutes, the repeater was up and running.

Result


Almost any reasonable thing is worth trying when you are experimenting. For this repeater project, it has been a little of this. a little of that, old parts, spare parts, and a lot of fun. As for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to 4 B computer swap, I hear no perceptible difference with the original delay echo problem.

Hey, if nothing else, it looks like the blinking LED on the USB/Serial converter for the Nextion display is blinking a little faster, but that could just be me. So for now, I'll leave it with the Rpi 4 B and monitor the CPU temperature and Argon fan activation cycle frequency for a while.

New Hypothesis


Maybe the delay echo is caused by the collinear antenna setup feeding back, even running at very low power. I guess I'll find out when I get my frequency allocations from the Wisconsin Association of Repeaters and get a duplexer ordered, tuned, and installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment